WDS is continued in Windows Server 8, and even though it works the same as in Windows Server 2008 R2 there are some new stuff under the hood.
New Features in WDS – Windows Server 8 Developer Preview
This is a brief summary of the new features I have discovered in WDS.
- Updated Setup Wizard, easy for standalone setup
- Added Wizards and Properties for managing prestaged devices
- Added Model support for drivers
- Additional Properties in the server configuration, for example TFTP and UdpPortPolicy config.
- Support for new platforms (architecture), arm and x86/x64 UEFI.
- New command-line switches for WDSUTIL
- Three new providers (WDSDCMGR, WDSDCPXE and WDSMDMGR)
- A few new controls for the TFTP provider
Here follows a few screen dumps and more details on the new features
So far I noticed five new switches to WDSUTIL
Displays custom metadata associated with deployment payload or
Changes custom metadata associated with deployment payload or
Adds one or more filters on a driver group.
Removes one or more filters from a driver group.
Modifies one or more existing filters of a driver group.
We now can do Model in the drivers filter, but only two operators so far…