Here is a quick summary of the changes in Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1. Both MDT 2013 and ConfigMgr 2012 R2 requires Windows ADK for Windows 8.1.
Windows ADK 8.1 is available for download here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982
Note: If you try to run the adksetup.exe to download Windows ADK 8.1 on a machine that has Windows ADK 8.0 installed, you get the below error:
Fix: (thanks Mr Diagg for providing it) is to run adksetup.exe /layout "C:\OfflineADK".
The result of running adksetup.exe /layout "C:\OfflineADK". Works even if previous versions of Windows ADK are installed.
- Profiling in WinPE 5.0 is removed
- WinPE 5.0 x64 supports 4 TB of RAM (still 64 GB for x86)
- Scratchspace set automatically to 512 MB when having more than 1 GB of RAM, otherwise 32 MB
- Note: WinPE 5.0 still requires NX/PAE/SSE2 support like WinPE 4.0 does
- Support for Windows 8.1
- You cannot use USMT 6.3 to migrate settings from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 (Workaround: Run backup with USMT 5.0, restore with USMT 6.3)
- Supports Office 2013 (hotfix available for USMT 5.0).
- Export compressed recovery image (/Export-Image)
- Cleanup base components when superseded. (/StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase)