One guide to rule them all,One guide to find them,
One guide to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
An Uber-Guide to Reducing Network Impact
This is what you always wanted to know: The Uber-Guide on how to reduce network impact for not only your Windows 10 deployments, but basically everything that relates to transfer large amounts of data over the network.
Windows 10 Deployment with ConfigMgr Current Branch
When using ConfigMgr to deploy and service Windows 10 you can use the following native technologies to reduce network impact.
- Setup Peer Caching with ConfigMgr: https://deploymentresearch.com/setup-peer-cache-in-configmgr-current-branch
- Setup BranchCache for ConfigMgr: https://deploymentresearch.com/setup-branchcache-for-configmgr-current-branch/
- Setup BITS for ConfigMgr: https://deploymentresearch.com/setup-bits-for-configmgr-current-branch/
- Setup Delivery Optimization (DO) for ConfigMgr Current Branch: https://deploymentresearch.com/setup-delivery-optimization-do-for-configmgr-current-branch/
- Using Delivery Optimization In-Network Cache (DOINC) in ConfigMgr: https://deploymentresearch.com/using-delivery-optimization-in-network-cache-doinc-in-configmgr-tp-1903/
- Setup Low Extra Delay Background Transport (LEDBAT) for ConfigMgr: https://deploymentresearch.com/setup-low-extra-delay-background-transport-ledbat-for-configmgr/
Third Party solutions that extends/enhances networking with ConfigMgr
In addition to the native solutions for ConfigMgr there are also several third party vendors extending the capabilities in regards of reducing network impact and much more. The major vendors in this area for ConfigMgr integration are the following:
- 2Pint Software StifleR: http://2pintsoftware.com/
- Adaptiva OneSite: http://www.adaptiva.com/
- 1E Nomad: http://www.1e.com/
Bonus: Transferring large amounts of data over the network
Outside the realms of ConfigMgr and MDT, but sometimes you really just need to transfer large amount of data over the network. Here is a list of techniques that helps you do that as efficient as possibly.
- Using Multicast to copy files: http://deployvista.com/2010/09/02/multicasting-not-only-for-operating-system-deployment/
- Using BitTorrent to transfer files: http://www.resilio.com/individuals/ or http://kirsanov.net/post/2012/08/27/Deploying-Large-Files-in-Local-Network.aspx
- Using ZPAQ to compact files using Data Deduplication: https://deploymentresearch.com/beyond-zip-part-ii-data-deduplication-archives-for-all-windows-versions-via-zpaq/
- Using PowerShell and VHDX containers to compact files using Data Deduplication: https://deploymentresearch.com/beyond-zip-how-to-store-183-gb-of-vms-in-a-19-gb-file-using-powershell/
Written by Johan Arwidmark