Twas the night before Christmas, in the year 2014, Project Plex finally begun.
For years I have been using a Windows 7 box with Media Center as my main Media PC. It had 6 TB of storage, mainly ISO's (DVD and Blu-ray), and I had it connected to my Samsung 55" TV. This Christmas it was finally time for an upgrade. Since all other family members had smart-phones, iPads, and PCs I decided on using the Plex Media Server which has a rich set of client applications.
As Plex Media Server I decided on using my trustworthy HP MicroServer, 16 GB of RAM, one 480 GB SSD for OS and Program Files volume, and 4 x 4 TB of SATA drives configured in a fault tolerant storage pool (parity).
As I mentioned, Plex has clients for most hardware, but as my main Media PC, connected to my TV, I selected the Intel NUC device. I actually wrote a piece about that machine almost a year ago, on how to install it with Windows 8.1.
Since Plex prefer MKV over ISO files, my next task is to convert my ISO's into MKV files (containers). Will add more info on that as I go along.
Happy holidays to all of you!