One of the most common issues with MDT 2010 LiteTouch is leftover junk from a previous installation preventing a second installation to continue. The solution – Get rid of the junk. Here is sample script…
WARNING!: Per the instructions you will modify the unattend.xml inside the boot image you use for bare metal deployments only, meaning the boot image(s) on your WDS server. Please don't go outside the instructions and modify the boot images in the MDT deployment share – That will kill all your Refresh and Replace deployments.
Instructions for Manually updating your x64 boot image
Just change x64 with x86 for updating your x86 image if needed.
- Extract the article sample files to a folder
- Create the D:\Mount folder (My Data drive is D:)
- Start a Deployment Tools Command Prompt
- Use Imagex to mount your boot image
Imagex /mountrw D:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images\LiteTouchPE_x64.wim 1 D:\Mount
- From the article download folder, copy the ZTICleanSetupInProgress.vbs script to D:\Mount\Deploy\Scripts
- From the article download folder, copy the x64\Unattend.xml file to D:\Mount (overwrite the existing file)
- Unmount the wim file (close all Explorer windows first)
Imagex /unmount /commit D:\Mount
Note: If you want to automate the above updates of the WDS boot image, you can do this via an Exit function to the Deployment Share Update process. In the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Samples folder you will find a sample named UpdateExit.vbs that you can customize.
See the Automatically update MDT 2010 boot images in WDS article by Michael Niehaus for more info on the Deployment Share Exit.