Earlier this morning I got an email with some questions on how to deploy Windows using MDT 2013 Lite Touch. The questions were the basic deployment questions I hear over and over again so I thought it was about time to write a list of valuable deployment resources.
- How do I capture a Windows setup to a WIM Image, and do I need to sysprep the image?
- Once captured, How can I import the WIM image back into MDT again?
- How do I create and edit production task sequences?
- What about multiple partitions?
- How about creating an offline media?
The following resources provide you with answers to the preceding questions, and much, much more. The resources are for Windows 8.1 but are valid for Windows 7 as well. I've organized the resources into the following sections:
- Step-by-Step guides (free)
- Virtual Labs (free)
- Videos (free)
- Commercial Videos (e.g. not free)
- Books (not free either, but available on Kindle if your budget is limited).
On TechNet you find well-proven step-by-step guides.
TechNet Docs – Create a Windows 8.1 Reference Image
TechNet Docs – Deploy a Windows 8.1 Image Using MDT 2013
On TechNet Virtual Labs you can walk through each scenario, over and over again. Ready-made labs just waiting for you to connect. Yes, they are free 🙂
Creating a Windows 8.1 reference image
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9845755 (lab no longer available)
Deploying Windows 8.1 with MDT 2013 (Lite Touch)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9845757 (lab no longer available)
The jumpstart videos is a collection of four videos, covering the basics of Windows deployment using MDT 2013 (and ConfigMgr/SCCM 2012 as well)
Windows 8.1 Deployment Jump Start
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/windows-8-1-deployment-jump-start (no longer available)
On the following link you find links to commercial videos sold under the ViaMonstra brand.
Happy Deployment, Johan